21 July 2011

Walk like an Egyptian?

I came to KL fully (I think) prepared to expect the unexpected - but I must admit that I really wasn't expecting to come across pyramids and sphinxes while we were here!


One pyramid....

.... and one sphinkx, although technically he's probably just a lion, as he didn't have a back end!  He guarded the entrance to Sunway Pyramid, a large, Egyptian-themed shopping mall which is part of a larger complex that includes a big water park and hotels.



The theme continued in the main entrance area:









The further away from the entrance you got, the more muted the theme - and in one corner the mall went to the opposite extreme by having an ice rink, the biggest in Malaysia apparently (though it may also be the only one...).

Will, Caitie and I had a good afternoon looking round, and both of them donned skates and gloves to try their hand (foot?!) at skating.

Alex joined us for dinner at yet another themed place, right next to the mall entrance, this time one that whisked us off to America and the world of Forrest Gump - Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company!  To quote Bubba:  "...shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

And that's about it for this blog post - thanks for popping by!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mum you spelt sphinx wrong, and got the description wrong. It was a lion and not a sphinx not because of it not having a back end, but because it had the face and body of a lion, instead of a face of a woman and the body of a lion :P

Hilary said...

I think you'll find the first was a typo....I'll bow to your clearly advanced knowledge of Egyptian history for the second point ;-)

Donna said...

Totally awesome - I still cannot believe what a fabulous adventure you are on, and I think it looks like a sphinx! Apparently I not up on Egyptian history either! LOL
Keep the pics coming, I am living this adventure through your eyes!

Anonymous said...

I'll take shrimps any which way! Sounds like you're having a blast. Great pix too - scrapworthy? BTW, tell 'Anonymous' to reveal him/herself! LOL